Junior Rugby League News & Stories, action photos, school rugby league news & results,

Our competition section of the program for this year has come to an end with some pleasing results.

We are now into post season training with the gym program well underway and our junior students commencing their level coaching certificates.

The NRL will also conduct a lecture on racial awareness.

For the first time in the programs history we had both our Buckley and University Shield sides in their respective finals.

The finals were held in the last week of Term 3 at Energy Australia Stadium with our under 14’s going down to Westfield and the Open squad losing to Matraville who finished with the double, also winning the Arrive Alive Competition a week earlier.

Congratulations to both sides for reaching the final.

After these games both players and coaches are keen for improvement next year with some more fine tuning and a bit more hard work over the coming year.

Jeremy Papamua charges to the line (Photo : Cameron Laird)Jeremy Papamau played for the Australian Schoolboys in their tour of New Zealand where the team won every game.

Jeremy played extremely well coming up with a try in each game.

Congratulations to all the players who have been selected in the Newcastle Knights summer squads.

The program has seen a big improvement from last year with 48% of it’s participants been selected.

Commiserations to those players who missed out but with harder training and further development we will try to help you reach your goals.

The under 15 squad will be going on our programs second Junior Transition Adventure Camp in week 6 this Term.

Players will be doing goal setting and testing them both mentally and physically to prepare them for their upcoming senior football.

On Wednesday 24th October Hunter Sports and the Knights had our first planning meeting which was held at Energy Australia Stadium.

The day was very productive and built on our already strong links with the Knights.

We now have some strong programs in place or about to commence which we believe will improve the development of all the players within our program.



Pat Mata’utia Knights Encouragement Award Jeremy Papamau & Chris Marlborough Senior Sport Person of the Year.

As you can see the program is extremely busy with new initiatives and bringing in external organisations.

This means that cost must be met and it is extremely important that all students pay their fees or arrange with Mr Mathews in relation to these payment. Mr P Davies
Dean Widders talks to Russell Tighe, Jake Farthing, Jesse Constance and Dan Green about junior rugby league
BRINGING THE GAME BACK: South Sydney star Dean Widders talks to Russell Tighe, Jake Farthing, Jesse Constance and Dan Green about junior rugby league
The Armidale express
JUNIOR rugby league in Armidale will receive a big boost next year as South Sydney Rabbitohs star Dean Widders brings a new competition to town.

Widders plans to introduce a new primary school-based competition in Term 3 next year in a bid raise the profile of the game while promoting the need for good sportsmanship.

“Because there’s been no junior league up here I thought it would be a great idea to bring it to Armidale,” he said.

“It gives me the opportunity to start a rugby league program but the main message is playing rugby league in the right spirit.

“We’re making it school based because we want the kids to stay in school and do the right things.

“It’s a way of bringing indigenous and non-indigenous kids together.”

The South Sydney lock/utility believes young athletes in Armidale have a desire to be competing in rugby league.

“The kids want to play. They’re dying for a game of sport - they want footy,” he said.

“I want to help teach the things I learnt from sport: you never discriminated, you never swore, you train your hardest, listen to your coach and always turn up.

“I really want to bring back those things, learning from sport and taking their habits from there.”

The school-based game will work to compliment the town junior league competition.

Under eights through to under 16s will join the seniors as part of the Group 19 competition.

“This used to be one of the strongest competitions in the northwest. We want to get that back,” Widders said.

Widders also hopes that the wealth of rugby league talent at the University of New England can be tapped to help train the next generation of players.

“We’re also looking to recruit uni students to help mentor the players,” he said.
Bishop Druitt College : 2007 Under 15's CIS JOEL BROWN CUP Champions (Photo : PA)
Bishop Druitt College : 2007 Under 15's CIS JOEL BROWN CUP Champions (Photo : PA)
ourfooty media
On Tuesday the 12th of September the Bishop Druitt College Coffs Harbour Under 15 Rugby League Team travelled to Cessnock to play Bankstown Grammar in Grand Final of the Joel Brown Cup.

This is a statewide tournament with NSWCIS that was completed in 4 statewide pools over Terms 1, 2 and 3.

The boys started nervously and conceded a soft try in the opening minutes. After settling down, Dane Atkinson finished off a nice backline movement to register our first points.

Tries quickly followed to Andrew Yeung, Alec Duly and a wonderful set play from a scrum resulted in Scott Johnson slicing through.

Another try to Dane set up a handy half time lead. 28-6.

The second half was a much tighter affair with tries to Alex Jones and Alec Duly. Bankstown Grammar scored a consolation try at the end.

Final Result 38-12. Dane Atkinson was named Player of the Match.

This result capped off a highly successful year for Under 15 Rugby League.

We had four representatives, Dane Atkinson, Scott Johnson, Felix Ettelson and Andrew Yeung in Pool A at the Under 15 National Championships in Adelaide, the greatest single school representation at U/15 Nationals in 2007. Andrew being the captain of the CIS side.

We are now the Under 15 State Champions for CIS. All boys are to be commended on their behaviour, sportsmanship and performance.

TAS teacher Mr Paul Driscoll was the coach and Mr Drew Kadwell was the manager. | NSW CCC |
St. Joseph's High School - 2007 CCC Cochrane Cup Champions
St. Joseph's High School
2007 CCC Cochrane Cup Champions
The Scone Advocate
The commitment and determination of St Joseph’s High School’s under14s rugby league side paid dividends last week, winning the final of the prestigious Cochrane Cup.

The 22-man squad had been training for last week’s final against Mater Dei College for nigh on two years, according to school principal and coach, John Tobin.

“The boys have worked together and trained together for the last two years in preparation for this particular final,” he said.

“The intensity of their training and the commitment they have shown is the reason that they claimed victory.”

The Cochrane Cup is only open to Under 14s teams from Catholic and Independent Schools in NSW.

First rounds in the The Cochrane Cup commenced early last term with St Joseph’s coming out victors in the Hunter region.

The boys then went on to play against O’Çonnor Catholic for a place in the quarter finals.

O’Çonnor went down to St Joseph’s 50-14 ensuring St Joseph’s a place in the finals.

The boys then came up against St John’s Woodlawn and defeated them soundly, 24-4.

Progressing to the semi finals, St Joseph’s then took on Gilroy College and thumped the Parramatta-based team 52-6.

Securing a place in the final, St Joseph’s could smell victory but it was going to be a difficult finish.

Set against Mater Dei College, Captain Adam Clydsdale said it was a nail-biting event.

“It was neck and neck all the way and the lead changed four or five times,” he said.

Mr Tobin said the team scored two tries in the last five minutes of the match, sealing the game 28-20.

“It was a very close game but I think it was the boys’ determination and commitment that saw them rewarded in the end,” he said.

Adam and the boys agreed it was a great feeling to win.

“To know you’re the best in the state, it’s probably the best feeling I’ve felt in my life,” Adam said.

“And it was good to spend that moment with the boys.”

Mr Tobin said he admired the team for their intensity.

“Their code of commitment, behaviour and manners, even on the overnight trips away showed their solid commitment to win this competition,” he said.

Co-captain Nick Ritter said winning against Mater Dei was not an easy feat.

“They were a big side,” he said.

“But what we lacked in size, we made up for in speed. That and sheer will and determination.”

The boys said the support they received throughout the competition was crucial to their success.

“We’d like to thank Mr Tobin for his time with us and Country Rugby League development officer, Chris Brennan, for training us almost every Thursday,” Adam said.

“Also trainers, Brett Parkes and Graeme Walker and of course the boys for putting in the effort all year.”

Mr Tobin said he had never worked with a team sharing such enormous camaraderie and team spirit.

“In all my experience I haven’t seen anything like that and when it came down to a close final, that paid dividends,” he said.

The squad consisted of : Nicholas Walker, Ryan Chillingworth, Ethan Haggarty, Lyndon Christie, Ben Young, Nicholas Ritter, Adam Clydsdale, Glen Parkes, William Tudor, Tyler Bartholomew, Jacob Bailey, Codie McCarthy, Jaye Phelps, James Eveleigh, Duncan Collins, William Thorncraft, Alexander Walsh, Mitchell, Van Balen, Liam Parker, Brent Wilton, Sam Dykes and James Carr.
Greg Florimo gives the MCC trophy to Marist North Shore A grade captain Jeremy Rawson.
BIG BEAR: Greg Florimo gives the MCC trophy to Marist North Shore A grade captain Jeremy Rawson.

Former North Sydney rugby league international Greg Florimo told students at Marist College North Shore last week that the “right choices and sacrifices need to be made” to achieve success in and outside of school.

Greg was special guest speaker and awards presenter at the college’s winter sports assembly, where the Bears’ legend recalled some of the fond memories of his stellar 12-year NRL career.

Named in the Bears’ team of the century, Greg played 285 first grade games – a club record – and also represented NSW in four State of Origin matches, and Australia in four Tests.

He is the current chief executive officer of the North Sydney Bears, which has a team in the NSW Premier League competition, and is one of the driving forces behind getting the foundation club back into the NRL some time in the future.

Sharing his wisdom and experience, Greg addressed the students at the assembly saying: “You must have desire and the right attitude as well as talent to succeed.

“As young rugby league players and sportsmen you are now facing tough decisions in your life.

“You have to make the right decisions, make sacrifices and have the self discipline to follow these things through, monitoring your diet, exercise and sleep.

“Self discipline and making sensible choices of course applies not just to your sporting life, but particularly as young men in the world today.

“It applies to your life inside and outside of school.”

Greg went on to present the winter sports teams with their awards, including the A grade league side which took out the Metropolitan Catholic Colleges (MCC) premier trophy.

“It must be said also that all of you boys receiving awards and recognition would not have made these achievements had it probably not been for your parents,” said Greg.

“Mums and dads spend their weekends running you to sporting matches and training nights.

“So when you go home tonight give your mum a big hug.”

Sports co-ordinator Peter Giles says the college “punches above their weight” while competing in the MCC competitions.

“It must be noted that the college while playing in the MCC competitions is more often than not up against bigger older boys from much larger schools, who would often be rejecting the same number of players from their selection as Marist College North Shore has in total to choose from,” he said.

“Marist hasn’t never fielded a team in any sport in the MCC, showing the discipline and dedication that our teams display.”

Jeremy Rawson, captain of the A Grade league side, praised the effort and commitment of the players during their undefeated season.

“We worked really hard all season and all the players and coaching staff should be extremely proud of their achievements,” he said.

“To have a league legend like Greg Florimo present us with the trophy really made it all the more special.”

Sarah Redfern High School kicking around a footy.
Students at Sarah Redfern High School kicking around a footy.

Click the link to sign the petition and read about the push to transform Sarah Redfern High into an official sports school.

Click the link to sign the petition: http://www.petitiononline.com/sarahred/petition.html

THE parents of Minto's young sporting elite are calling on the State Government to declare Sarah Redfern High an official sports school to stop the exodus of talent from the region.

The Sarah Redfern Parents and Citizens Association is fed up with the talent drain from the Macarthur region.

Many students have to travel to Fairfield or Wollongong to attend a specialised sporting school because there is none available in the Macarthur area.

The parents' group believes the Sarah Redfern High site is an ideal location for a specialist sports school with plenty of facilities and space available for future development.

It is also close to transport links and has already developed successful sporting programs.

The school, which opened in the early 80s, boasts a plethora of former students who forged successful careers in sport.

They include rugby league players John Skandalis, Kevin and Ken McGuinness, the three Paea brothers (two play for the Roosters and one for the Titans) and soccer players the Kharmis sisters.

The suburb and the broader Macarthur region is also home to dozens of sporting greats who went straight to Westfields from primary schools in the area including Eels players Krisnan Inu and Jarryd Hayne and Melbourne Storm players Israel Folau and the Afamasaga brothers.

P&C president Mirika Williams said many parents decided against sending their children Westfields Sports High School in Fairfield because it was simply too far for them to travel.

Williams said the elite sports students were receiving excellent training and guidance at Sarah Redfern but its sports program wasn't recognised.

"We see the kids from here on TV, but we're the only ones who know they're from Minto because they had to go outside the area to go to school," she said.

"That doesn't need to happen anymore we want Sarah Redfern to become an official sports high school."

As the parent of two young sporting talents, Noelene Alone said she could see the merit in Sarah Redfern becoming a sports high.

"My son went to Westfields and it was good for him, and now my daughter has been accepted for next year, but I won't send her," she said. "It is too far for her to travel.

"I know people who drive their child to Westfields every day so he doesn't have to go on the train. It would be good for my daughter to be able to go to a sports high school but not so far away."

The school's netball coach Paul "Footy" Siulepa said there were at least seven students leaving Minto to go to other sports high schools. "We've got the talent here but we've also got to be able to keep it here," he said.

Campbelltown State Labor MP and Sports Minister Graham West said the sports high school was an excellent idea and one worth exploring.

He said the issue had to be raised with the Education Department and go through a formal process of recognition.

Mighty Matraville SHS added another trophy to their cabinet today after hammering Hunter SHS in the Uni Shield Grand Final by a wooping 56 - 20

Junee High School team celebrates its 60-6 win against Gunnedah High School in the University Shield final at Newcastle’s Energy Australia Stadium yesterday.Photo: Barry Smith, Northern Daily Leader
THE CHAMPIONS: Junee High School team celebrates its 60-6 win against Gunnedah High School in the University Shield final at Newcastle’s Energy Australia Stadium yesterday.Photo: Barry Smith, Northern Daily Leader

JUNEE’S high school rugby league team has created history for the town after it thrashed Gunnedah High School 60-6 in yesterday’s University Shield final.

Spearheaded by several members of the town’s 2007 Weissel Cup premiership team, Junee High became just the third Riverina high school to win the prestigious tournament in its rich 85-year history.

After trailing 6-0 in the first half, Junee High rallied to pile on 11 unanswered tries, almost blowing their rivals out of Newcastle’s Energy Australia Stadium.

While man-of-the-match Matt Hands and player-of-the-tournament Cameron Woo were at their brilliant best with two tries each, it was the efforts of every single player and that of coach Steve Lawson which impressed team manager Pam Halliburton in what she summed up as simply a “memorable day” for the town.

“It’s an absolutely wonderful feeling at the moment – all 20 players were used and every one did their job today in what was probably their best performance of the whole tournament,” Halliburton said after the win.

“Steve Lawson has done a terrific job with these boys as coach and deserves all the accolades he gets – it’s been an amazing effort from the boys and I believe the first win for a Riverina school since 1996.”

Yanco Agricultural High School was the lucky school on that day, but not even its powerhouse line-up of ’96 would have matched Junee’s dominating list this year, which no doubt would have had some keen onlookers from the NRL watching their every move.

Matt Ward scored a grand final trifecta he will long remember, including the final two tries of the game, which sparked wild celebrations on the sidelines.

“We got off to a slow start as usual, but when the boys get going it’s like poetry in motion when they start passing the ball around,” Halliburton said.

“Many thanks must go to the proud town of Junee, which donated over $6000 to get the boys up here and our sponsors, who have been most generous.

“But what has been even more amazing is the local support the boys received while they have been playing away from home.

“We had masses of people supporting the boys throughout the tournament, all of whom travelled a long way in their cars,” she said.
Westfields SHS win Buckley Shield ( photo : ourfooty media)WESTFIELDS SHS

Westfields SHS ( 32 - 22 ) have successfully defended their CHS Buckley Shield title with a convincing win over Hunter SHS today at Energy Australia Stadium.

"The School is very proud of the boys", said Westfields Director of Sport, Joanne Kenny.

9:15 am - Buckley Shield Sports High School:
Westfields SHS v Hunter SHS

10:25 am - Buckley Shield Comprehensive High School:
Winner - Kingscliff HS v Cowra
Winner - Bass HS v Delroy HS

11:35 am - Classic Shield (Open Primary):
Young v Kingscliffe

12:35 pm - University Shield Sports High School:
Matraville SHS v Hunter SHS

2:05 pm - University Comprehensive Shield:
Gunnedah HS v Junee HS

Arrive alive Cup - Saturday 22nd September
Sydney Football Stadium
Matraville Sports High School 32 - 10 Patrician Brothers Blacktown

Cochrane Cup - Tuesday 25th September
St Gregory's Campbelltown
Mater Dei, Wagga Wagga -v- St Josephs, Aberdeen

Independent & Catholic Primary School Challenge - Monday 24th September
Leichhardt Oval
St Augustine's College, Brookvale -v- St Carthages, Lismore
Daniel Mortimer - 2007 Australian Schoolboys
James Sheahan’s Daniel Mortimer (centre) tunes up last Wednesday before travelling to New Zealand with the Australian Schoolboys rugby league side for two tests against the Kiwis.

DANIEL Mortimer thinks he has done all he can to prepare himself to take on a ferocious New Zealand side in two upcoming schoolboy rugby league test matches.

Mortimer will go into a three-day camp with the Australian Schoolboys team in Canberra on Saturday before the 18-man squad flies out to Auckland next Tuesday.

They play a lead-up game against an invitational side next Wednesday before two tests against the Kiwis on September 29 and October 6.

The James Sheahan student has stuck to a stringent training regime and played league and union games for the school and believes this preparation has him in good shape before his international debut.

Last Wednesday Sheahan lost to Illawarra in the semi-final of rugby union’s Yates Shield and the five-eighth thinks he is better for the run.

“Anything with a bit of contact is good. It was good to get the ball in my hands again in a game situation,” Mortimer said.

“I’ve been training hard and I think I’m well prepared.”

Australian selectors picked a big side to take on the Kiwis with Mortimer one of just two halves.

Queensland’s Ben Hunt will play half-back inside the Parramatta SG Ball premiership winner and Mortimer thinks they have the side to be successful over the ditch.

“From what I saw it was a high level of footy up there (at the Australian Secondary Schools Championship in Townsville) so we should go pretty good,” Mortimer said.

“... it took a while to sink in and it still is. I think it will hit when we get (in camp).”

Daniel Mortimer

“They’ve picked a pretty big pack to take on the big Kiwi boys. I’ve got two ‘Parra’ boys in the forwards and I’ll work with them a bit.”

The 18-year old is hopeful his pack can match the traditionally big Kiwis which will allow himself to play his usual attacking game and take on the line regularly.

“On the halves side we need to have a lot of direction but if the forwards go forward I’ll try and play my own game and attack a bit,” Mortimer said.

He is still coming to grips with the fact he will be representing Australia but it should become more of a reality when the team assembles.

“It’s getting close now and it took a while to sink in and it still is. I think it will hit when we get (in camp),” Mortimer said.

“It’s come up so fast, it’s weird.”
The University & Buckley Shield Competition Grand Finals are on on Tuesday 25th September 2007 at Energy Australia Stadium with the 1st game kicking off at 9:30am.

Buckley Shield Comprehensive High School:
Winner - Kingscliff HS v Cowra
Winner - Bass HS v Delroy HS

Buckley Shield Sports High School:
Westfields SHS v Hunter SHS

Classic Shield (Open Primary):
Young v Winner Kingscliffe v Windale

University Comprehensive Shield:
Gunnedah HS v Junee HS

University Shield Sports High School:
Matraville SHS v Hunter SHS


EXPERIENCE and teamwork will be key ingredients in any Farrer Memorial Agricultural High School success when its open boys' side plays for a State CHS Boys' Knockout title in Tamworth today.

Farrer plays Albury in a quarter-final this morning, coach Nigel Smith said.

"They had six in their regional side so they won't be any pushover," Smith said.

"We had five."

James Riddell skippers Farrer and is one of seven Year 12 students in the team.

"Last year we had just one Year 12," Smith said.

It means there is experience but also some talented younger players such as little Year 7 student Alex Hile.

"He's a great little player, has got skills most people only dream of."

Along with the likes of Mark Fisher, Luke Wilkinson, James Fisher, James Walker and Dave Walker, he has improved markedly through the year.

Fullback James Fisher "has come from nowhere," Smith said.

"All the kids have improved their hockey though."

They also go into this morning's quarter-final confident after winning their Tamworth schoolboy hockey grand final on Monday night.

They beat a strong Tudors side which contained four or five first graders 6-1.

It's been a good season for the side, scoring more than 100 goals and allowing just 18.

Tim Bellis has been in goalscoring touch all season and goalkeeper Andrew Kelly has been dynamic.

"Especially early on in the games against Oxley and Tamworth," Smith said.

"He kept us in those games but since those early games we've changed our defence and we are coming out of defence much better and we are possessing the ball much better."
Branxton Public School open rugby league team recently won the Knights Knockout competition.
CHAMPS: The Branxton Public School open rugby league team recently won the Knights Knockout competition. The team is (back) Tyler Loadsman, Luke Barnes, Dylan Hale, Matt Howard, Jackson Cassidy, Conne

THE Branxton Public School’s open rugby league team has continued its rich vein of form this season by taking out the 2007 Knights Knockout competition.

The 19 player squad, accompanied by a large group of parents and supporters, left school at 6.30am and travelled to Valentine on Tuesday September 4 to take part in the Open A division of the competition.

It ended up being a long day for the team as they competed in a total of nine games.

The day didn’t get off to an ideal start when they were held to an 8-all draw against Jewells.

However the team managed to win their remaining eight matches.

Their second match was against St Brigid’s of Raymond Terrace, with Branxton running out 28-0 winners.

Branxton came out on top in a closely contested match against St Mary’s, Warners Bay 12-4 before they scored their second shut out win against Telarah 28-0.

Game five was somewhat of a local derby when Branxton took on Singleton Public School.

Branxton once again kept their opposition scoreless, winning the match 12-0.

With a four win and one draw record, Branxton qualified for the semi final stage of the tournament.

Their fist semi was against hosts Valentine Public Schol and Branxton came out on top 12-8.

Next up was St Joseph’s, Taree, a school that has won the Open A division five times in the last seven years.

Branxton put in a tremendous performance and were able to come away with a 16-12 win.

The team then had to travel to Windale to play the remaining games.

St Jame’s of Muswellbrook was the next semi final opponent and Branxton was able to win a low scoring match 8-4.

This win saw Branxton into the grand final against another local team, St Catherine’s of Singleton.

Despite trailling at halftime 12-6, Branxton Public School was able to power home and claim the match, 26-16, and the tournament .

This year’s team has been expertly coached by former Canberra Raiders and Penrith Panthers player Glenn George and has been managed by teacher Melissa Jolly.

The win was the first of its kind for Branxton and is only the second time a team from the Singleton region has won the Open A division.

Before the win, it had already been a successful season for the Branxton boys.

They reached the fourth round of the State Knockout, represented the Hunter at the All School Knockout in Sydney and won the Brian Kirkland Cup in Singleton and the Bulldogs / Goannas Cup at Cessnock.
St. Mary's Star
THE next generation of Penrith Panthers rugby league stars were on show at Weekender Stadium last Friday in the Mount Druitt Primary Schools Sports Association finals.

The best two sides from the under-10s junior and open divisions battled it out for the right to be crowned the premiers in the Mount Druitt/St Marys district.

In the junior grand final, Crawford Public School defeated Tregear Public School 22-0.

It was the second title in two days by the Doonside school, after they also took out the Royce Simmons Shield on Wednesday a seven-a-side tournament for boys in years 3 and 4 beating sides from the Penrith, St Marys, Hawkesbury, Mount Druitt and Lower Blue Mountains districts.

In the open final, an undefeated Shalvey Public School grimly hung on in the dying minutes to beat arch rivals Lethbridge Park 6-4, avenging last year's 15-10 loss in the decider.

Lethbridge Park spent the last eight tackles of the match close to Shalvey's try line but were unable to come up with a match winning play.

Many of the Shalvey boys were part of the school's junior PSSA district final win last year.

"I've coached rugby league at the school for 18 years but that was the most satisfying match I've been a part of at any level," coach Mark Titheradge said.

"What was most impressive was the boys went out there and executed the game plan we set out to achieve.

"They absorbed everything that we talked about. It was a brutal defensive game that could have gone either way.

"They're a bunch of eager and enthusiastic boys who have formed a great combination in the past few years and love their footy."

Half of the team will return next year, determined to claim back-to-back titles.

St Marys Rugby League Club coaching and development officer Jim Jones praised the efforts of players involved in last Friday's finals at Weekender Stadium.

"The boys got a buzz out of playing at the ground, which created a great atmosphere," he said.

Friday was also a big day for Shalvey Public School, as both the girls' touch football and netball teams also won their respective Mount Druitt PSSA finals.
Young Public 2007 Mortimer Shield ChampionsYOUNG PUBLIC 2007 MORTIMER SHIELD CHAMPIONS

Boys Game 1: Mcauley 40 (Tries: Nic Clancy 5, Sam Simmonds, Jonno Mcnamara. Goals: Jake Mcgrath, Jack Clancy, Nic Clancy, Ben Kent, Sam Simmonds, Angus Mcrae) defeated Tolland 12 (Tries:Jamie Nixon 2, Luke Gladman-Pitt).

Game 2: Young 28 (Tries: Jacob Dodge 4, Jahnayay Freeman. Goals:Caylum Barber, Jacob Dodge, Jackson Anderson, Jack Mundy) defeated Barellan/Ardlethan/Weethalle 10 (Tries: Josh Ridgway and Teague Studholme. Goals: Josh Ridgway)

Final: Young 22 (Tries : Jahnayah Freeman, Jake Mcillhatton, Trent Veney, Jordan Sams, Jack Mundy. Goals : Jacob Dodge) Mcauley 22 (Tries : Jack Clancy 2, Nic Clancy 2, Sam Simmonds. Goals : Ben Kent).

This was an incredible game of footy and very worthy of a final.

With seconds remaining on the clock Mcauley were down by four points and they scored right on the bell to have the scores locked at 22 all with a kick to come.

The conversion was successful to give them a two point lead however the kicker already taken a kick at goal during the game (each player is only allowed one kick per game) so the referee disallowed the goal and scores were all level again.

One gripping minute remained and either team could still win it ended up a dramatic draw and Young Public were crowned CHAMPIONS for 2007.

Both schools should be commended for in which the game was played.

Best players in the final for both teams were: Nic and Jack Clancy, Ben Kent, and Sam Simmonds also Jacob Dodge, Angus Crichton, Jahnayah Freeman and Jake Mcillhatton.

Man of the match was awarded to Nic Clancy.

Girls: Game 1: South Wagga 7 (Greta Virgona 3, Baiky Mcdonald, Courtney Schofield, Meg Cooper and Zara Hartwig) defeated Sacred Heart Cootamundra 2.

Game 2: Tumut 13 (Tegan French 4, Katryn Wells 4, Sally Nicholls 2, Kayla Hartshorn, Josie Dean, Erin Ford) defeated St Marys Yoogali 6 (Isabella Barbara 4, Melissa Baquers, Marie Casella)

Final : South Wagga 6 (Meg Cooper 2, Greta Virgano 2, Baiky Mcdonald, Georgia Adamson) defeated Tumut 2 (Paula Sargent, Katryn Wells)


There was a changing of the guard for the All Saints College, St Mary's Campus, Maitland rugby league team yesterday as it defeated Hamilton's St Francis Xavier College 22-10 in the final of the Knights Knockout competition at Maitland Sportsground.

The Maitland school reclaimed the Hunter secondary schools title in style and along the way ushered in new crop of players ready to lead the school next season.

About 11 of the team's squad played their last school rugby league match yesterday, while several Year 10 and 11 players were given a taste of what to expect next year if they want to uphold the school's strong football tradition.

Yesterday's win was the first in the competition for St Mary's since 1999, with the two schools boasting a long history of battles in the competition.

Scores were locked at 10-10 at half-time but coach Col Love was confident his team had control of the game and with a bit more patience in attack felt they would be rewarded.

"We bombed quite a few (tries) and just pushed that last pass too much," Love said. "We were always in control but on the last play we dropped the ball or made a mistake.

"We were on their line about 20 times in the first half."

After the break, St Mary's began to get on top and while the visitors threatened to tighten up their defence, they let themselves down with simple mistakes.

St Mary's centre Matt Harris put the result beyond doubt when he scored the try of the match with 10 minutes remaining.

Harris broke two tackles and ran close to the length of the field to score his second try of the day.

Premiership winning Maitland Pumpkin Pickers under-17s captain Sam O'Brien scooted over in the right corner soon after to stretch the winning margin to 12 points.

The school will miss the power the naturally gifted Harris has provided over the years, but the likes of O'Brien, Tom Atkinson and Shay Padberg are among those Year 11s ready to carry the torch next season.

"I think size-wise we might lose a bit but skill-wise I think we'll be fine," he said.

The school's new crop of players will in fact begin training for season 2008 next term, with Love enlisting the help of Knights development officer Matt Lantry for training sessions.
Story By : Moree Champion

Students from St Philomena's and Inverell's Holy Trinity School will put their sporting talents on display tomorrow in the inaugural Peter Ticehurst Memorial Trophy Day in Moree.

The annual sporting event is dedicated to Peter, who passed away in November last year.

The Ticehurst family has ties to both schools.

Peter and his two brothers Tony and David were students at both schools and his sister Cathy's children now attend St Philomena's.

Co-organiser David Koch said it was a fitting tribute to a man who was a major instigator in junior league.

"This is a great opportunity for both schools to come together and play sport," David said.

"It's a very special day for both schools and it will be a reciprocal arrangement, with St Philomena's coming to Inverell next year."

Primary and secondary teams will compete for the trophy in rugby league, soccer and netball in junior and senior divisions.

There will be open primary rugby league, netball, mixed soccer, Year 7/8, Year 9/10 netball, 14's and 16's rugby league.

"A lot of the players are looking forward to playing and we are expecting the day to be beneficial for both schools.

"Peter's son Nick will play in the 12's rugby league team and that is very fitting for him," David said.

Nick's younger brother Alex, currently in Year 2 at Holy Trinity, will be ball boy during the day.

Many members of the Ticehurst family will attend the competition to be held at Ron Harborne Oval. The trophy day will be held around the same time each year.
Zac Newcombe crosses for Gunnedah in their University Shield victory against Dubbo College yesterday.
Zac Newcombe crosses for Gunnedah in their University Shield victory against Dubbo College yesterday.

Gunnedah High School is 70 minutes away from its first University Shield title after another inspired performance in front of a huge home crowd yesterday.

The Gunnedah boys won a David and Goliath battle against Dubbo College 33-10 in the shield semi-final at Kitchener Park.

The visitors had a big size advantage over Gunnedah but the home side hurled the first rocks early in the contest.

On the back of some good field position little winger Brad Newman slid over in the right corner after a short-side play started by Kyle Northey after five minutes.

Zac Newcombe threw the last pass for the first try and it was he who made it 8-nil to Gunnedah after 20 minutes when he found space following some great lead-up work from Farran Lamb and captain Trent Hilton.

Northey then sprang from dummy half and squeezed the ball over the line to extend the lead to 14-nil after Kyle Gallen's conversion and Gunnedah led 14-nil at the break.

Dubbo finished the first half with several chances but the Gunnedah defence stood strong.

That good defence continued early in the second half and when Dubbo fullback Brad Marks dropped a Gallen bomb Hilton took advantage with a try in the 34th minute to push the lead to 20-nil.

Dubbo got on the board when halfback Josh Merritt chased a Jordon Boney kick in the 48th minute.

But Gunnedah made it 24-6 after 56 minutes when Matt Smith scooted over in the left corner off a Judd McDonald flick.

David Nicholls hit back for Dubbo in the 62nd minute but the game was well out of reach, especially when Gallen slotted a penalty goal to make it 26-10 with less than five minutes on the clock.

They weren't finished though.

Hilton made a break down the left hand flank and found a flying Jie Smith who not only finished brilliantly but thrilled the delighted crowd with some acrobatic celebrations.

His try came with just two-and-a-half minutes to play but Gunnedah put the icing on the cake in the final seconds when Gallen struck a field goal to make it 33-10.
Zac Merritt steams down the sideline during last Sunday’s grand final.
Zac Merritt steams down the sideline during last Sunday’s grand final.

Red Bend Catholic College student and Forbes Magpies junior captain Zac Merritt has been named in the Australian Indigenous Under 18s rugby league squad to tour New Zealand next month.

The Year 12 student, who captained the junior Magpies to a thrilling Group 11 premiership last Sunday, was one of 21 young indigenous footballers to be selected for the tour.

The Indigenous Under 18s will play three matches on tour; against the New Zealand Maori Under 18s, Taranaki and a curtain-raiser to the one-off test between the Kangaroos and New Zealand.

Merritt has represented Group 11, Western Division and NSW Combined Catholic Colleges' Southern Country this season, while last year he toured Europe with an Australian Institute of Sport league squad.

Others to be named in the indigenous team include Ben Orcher, the son of former Forbes Magpies coach Neil Orcher, who is currently playing premier league at Cronulla.

Also named was former Group 11 junior Claude Gorden, who played in Narromine's grand final win against Forbes in 2006.

Gorden is now at West Tigers.

Next season Merritt will join the NRL's Canberra Raiders along with former Red Bend student and Forbes Magpies forward Todd Grace.

Red Bend Catholic College's Steve Hooper said former college student Joel Thompson would also join the Raiders next season after a year with Brisbane Norths in the Queensland Cup competition.

The Red Bend trio will join former student Josh Miller at the club, which finished just outside the NRL top eight this year.

The squad will be accompanied on the tour by ARL Indigenous Program Manager Ricky Walford, a former St George Dragon.

Zac Merritt playing for RedBend College this year (Photo : Redbend College/ourfooty media)
Zac Merritt playing for RedBend College this year (Photo : Redbend College/ourfooty media)


The Group 11 rugby league nursery has been well documented and we will be watching with anticipation to see how Zac Merritt develops with the Canberra Raiders.

The Forbes lock on Sunday won the under 18s premiership with Forbes and was the Dubbo RSL Player of the Year, but the Dubbo RSL best in the grand final was awarded to the Magpies No.7 Michael James Hodge.

Zac Merritt is the son of former Group 11 player and coach Barry Merritt who lost two first grade grand finals to Wellington but picked up one with Cowra in Group 10 in 1995.

Zac's football for the season isn't finished just yet as he is heading to Christchurch in New Zealand with the Australian Indigenous Junior side to play New Zealand on October 2, the main preliminary game before the Australian versus New Zealand Test match.
Westfields SHS into the 2007 Buckley Shield Grand Final (Photo : ourfooty media)


Westfields Sports 24 v Endeavour Sports 6

What a great game by our team, they took control from the kick-off and remained in charge till the final whistle.

The first half was a free flowing game with only 2 penalties given by the referee.

The first try was scored by Fraser and converted by the very safe boot of Jacob who had another all inspiring game at lock.

ENDEAVOUR SHS BUCKLEY Shield Team Photo ( Photo : ourfootyteam.com)
Endeavour SHS Buckley Shield Team (Photo : ourfooty media)

The next try went to Guston who receive a pass from our halfback Sam and stepped through six defenders to score from 20 metres out, again Jacob converted taking the scrore out to a lead of 12 points to nil.

Not long before halftime Endeavour's dummy half passed the ball which went through three sets of hands for their second rower to run 20 metres for his, and his team's only try which was successfully converted to give the opposition their 6 points.

Half time score Westfields Sports 12 Endeavour Sports 6.

The second half started the same as the first, with just 5 minutes on the clock when Tyron crashed over for his try, the conversion attempt met Jacobs boot sweetly guiding it through for a further 2 points. Score Westfields 18-6

I don't know who the coaching staff selected as man of the match but I feel sure Jacob must figure in their considerations, he played a big part in his teams success not only in theis game but throughout the season.

It was Jacob who scored our last try and again converted it for a perferct display of goal kicking.

Tries: Fraser, Guston, Tyrone & Jacob
Goals: Jacob 4 form 4. Jacob 4 form 4.
Hunter SHS thru to the Uni Shield Grand Final (Photo : ourfooty media)HUNTER SHS TO FACE THE MIGHT OF MATRAVILLE IN UNI SHIELD

Matraville SHS went through to this years University Shield Grand Final when The Hills SHS forfieted the game.

While Hunter go to play Matra after a very tight victory over a young Endeavour SHS at Wyong on Tuesday.

Hunter had a good lead at half time, the second half saw Endeavour pile on the point to make the score 32 - ALL, so we went into extra time for 5 minutes each way.

Endeavour were 1st to score in the southern corner to take the lead for the 1st time in the game to lead 38 - 32 after the successful conversion.

But the brilliant comeback by Endeavour was short lived when Hunter scored 2 quick tries to take the game.

Now Hunter will face the might of Matraville Sports in the University Shield Grand Final on the 29th Sept '07 in Newcastle.

WESTERN Suburbs Magpies have stepped in to support a Macarthur region high school rugby league team on the path to success.

Former player and development officer Harvey Howard has given the Eagle Vale High School under-14 rugby league team the benefit of his experience, both in Australia and England, to boost the boys' chances in the Buckley Shield.

So far the tactic has worked, with the Eagle Vale team now in the final eight (quarter-finals) of the state-wide competition.

The school will be out in force at the team's sudden-death match this Thursday at Campbelltown Sports Stadium from 10.30am.

The boys will take on Kingscliff High School from the far north coast.

Coach Phil Saunders and assistant Kent Lawrence believe the team has a real chance of progressing to the semi-finals.

"The school is very grateful for the invaluable coaching support it has received from Harvey Howard," Saunders said.
MISSED opportunities and uncharacteristic errors have killed off Palm Beach Currumbin’s Arrive Alive Cup dreams, Queensland’s last remaining hope sinking 26-10 against Patrician Brothers Blacktown in the national semi final.

The 2007 Australian final will now be played between Patrician Brothers and heavy favourite Matraville Sports High in Sydney, with the date to be determined by NRL finals scheduling.

Patrician Brothers were never headed on their tropical jaunt, jumping out of the blocks with a converted try to Siosaia Vave.

PBC did find a right of reply through balanced ball-runner Anthony Flores to trail just 6-4, but then conceded the next two tries to give Patrician Brothers an unassailable edge.

Frustrating long-time coach Rod Patison, the Gold Coast outfit made numerous breaks, only to surrender possession with impatience and relieve the pressure on the opposition.

Half Kayne Lawton in particular was a danger, splitting the line regularly with deception and pace.

Right on halftime Palm Beach managed to surge over through fullback Jordan Rapana, one of his school’s best this year.

Rapana then added the kick for a 16-10 deficit at the break, providing an element of hope.

The first 10 minutes of the second half saw both sides go scoreless, but PBC continued to be its own worst enemy.

Elementary errors like surrendering a scrum against the feed and failing to find touch from a penalty cost the Queenslanders badly.

A big and powerful Patrician Brothers did not look the gift horse in the mouth, with Vave bullocking over for a second try 18 minutes before fulltime.

Not to be outdone, teammate Patrick Mataele also posted his second try of the game in the shade of the hooter, extending the final margin.

To qualify as Queensland champion, Palm Beach had earlier beat St Brendan’s Yeppoon 30-6 and Keebra Park State High 14-6.

Only two Queensland schools have won the national competition since it began in 1975, with those wins coming in 2001 (Palm Beach Currumbin SHS) and 2002 (Wavell SHS).
TRIES : Siosaia Vave 2, Patrick Mataele 2, Jesse Sina-Lafoe
GOALS : Matthew Wright 3
TRIES : Anthony Flores, Jordan Rapana
GOALS : Jordan Rapana

A jam packed year of Primary school rugby league culminated in a great finals day at Northbourne Oval on Thursday morning, when St Michael’s Kaleen won the final and most prestigious competition on offer for 2007 at this level, the Sullivan Shield.

Raider’s stars Tom Learoyd-Lahrs and Michael Dobson were on hand to present the awards to all the days’ winners, and congratulate all those involved.

St Michael’s Kaleen defeated St Gregory’s Queanbeyan by 10-0 in an exciting final, which brings the end of what has been another big year of rugby league in the ACT at the primary school level.

In a thrilling final it was St Michael’s who managed to score the winning two tries, in the full field 13-a-side format competition.

In the other matches earlier in the day it was St Anthony’s Wanniassa who defeated St John’s Apostle Florey 28-12 in the trophy final, while the combined Nicholls Side defeated St Francis Calwell by 48 – 4 to decide the plate winners.

In the Cup final it was North Ainslie defeating Macgregor by 24-0, while an action packed girls league tag final saw St Francis Assissi defeat Bungendore 3-1.

After a huge year of junior rugby league Canberra Raiders ARLD Officer Brad Donald said it was a great way to finish the competition, and he thanked all of the teams who were involved, not just the winners.

“Congratulations to all the teams that played today, and to all the teams who played over what has been a great semester of junior rugby league,” Donald said. “We have had over 50 schools play over five days of carnivals during this semester, and we thank all of the participants, teachers, coaches, volunteers and referees for their help.”

Donald said the standard of competitions this year are some of the best he’s seen at this level, and he looked forward to doing it all again in 2008.

“The Sullivan shied has once again been a great way to follow on from the seven a side competitions earlier in the year, and we hope all of the teams will be back bigger and better next year.”

FLASHY skills and rock hard defence was the order of the day as Salter Oval hosted five hotly-contested Bundaberg Secondary Schools Sports (BDSSS) grand finals last week.

First on the field was the electrifying 13-years final between Shalom College and Bundaberg State High School (BSHS).

The 40 minutes was a tough affair as both teams took time to adjust to the pace of the game, with BSHS taking an 8-6 lead into half time.

However, the second half was a different story as Ben Lanskey inspired his team to post five unanswered tries in the second half and run out 30-8 winners.

In the 14-years division, Kepnock State High School were too good for BSHS, playing a smart brand of league to win 30-10.

Luke Leggett tried his hardest, but Joel Fagan and his Kepnock team-mates were too strong all over the park.

Shalom College claimed their second premiership of the afternoon when their 15 years team beat North Bundaberg High School.

The North boys tried hard, but man of the match Joe Trost combined well with his Shalom team mates to give them a win.

A rampaging St Lukes outfit took home the second division trophy with an impressive 34-4 defeat over Rosedale State High School, with Cruz Adams drawing the plaudits.

The highly-anticipated open boys clash was as tough as expected, but the BSHS players were rewarded for their consistency all year with a 20-12 win over Shalom College.

Corrie Gilbert gave the Shalom team headaches all game and was awarded with the man of match.
Mackillop College win the Bradley Clyde Shield
Mackillop College win this years BRADLEY CLYDE SHIELD (Yrs 9 - 10)

Mackillop College has taken out the top honour of winning the Bradley Clyde Shield (years 9-10) this year, after their impressive 10-4 win over St Francis Xavier at Northbourne Oval on Thursday.

Leading 4-0 at half time, Mackillop were tested by the St Francis side when scores drew level mid-way through the second half, but a late try sealed a win in what was a very entertaining game of Rugby League.

The Shield which is named after Raiders legend Bradley Clyde was presented by Clyde himself following the match, and he said it was great to see such a fine game of football.

“It was a good tough game and a real honour for Mackillop as they are now the best year 9-10 team in the ACT,” Clyde said. “It’s also a great honour for me to be involved with this shield, and I thank you for having me here today.

Melba High School win Rauter Shield
Melba High School win this years RAUTER SHIELD (years 7-8)

In the Rauter Shield final (years 7-8) earlier in the day it was Melba high who ran out victors, with a golden point 20-16 win over Caroline Chisholm.

With the scores level at 16-16 at the end of full-time it was a long range try which sealed the win for Melba, as they managed to take home the shield.

Bradley Clyde was also on hand to present the Rauter Shield, and congratulated Melba on their win.

“It’s great to see a school from my old area North Canberra get a win so congratulations to Melba high,” he said. “Also congratulations to Caroline Chisholm for turning up and giving us a fantastic end to a great competition.

The two finals were the culmination of three days of round robin competitions involving around 50 schools from the Canberra Region.

Raider’s junior development officer Leigh Woodbridge said the numbers show strong interest in rugby league in Canberra, and thanked all schools for their participation.

“Today’s two finals show us the great amount of talent there is in Canberra,” Woodbridge said.

“Thank you to all schools for participating and we hope to see them all again next year, with maybe some new schools as well.”

THE best of the region's rugby league schoolboys' talent will be on show at the Wests Leagues Cup grand finals day on August 29 at Campbelltown Sports Stadium.

The match of the day will feature Ingleburn High School squaring off against Ashcroft in the under-15s division 1 decider.

Ingleburn will be aiming to be the first school to win the under-13s and under-15s titles double in consecutive years while Ashcroft will be focussing on lifting their school's first ever Wests Cup premiership trophy.

At noon, Robert Townson and Ambarvale will contest the under-13s division 1 grand final. This is expected to be a tightly contested affair, with both schools winning their semi-finals by the narrowest of margins.

The man of the match in the under-13s division 3 decider will receive the inaugural Gary Walden Medal, named in honour of the late Macarthur area school education director.

Schedule for the day is: U/13 Division 3: Bowral HS vs Camden HS, 10am; U/13 Division 2: Elderslie HS vs Lurnea HS/James Busby HS, 11am; U/13 Division 1: Robert Townson HS vs Ambarvale HS, noon; U/15 Division 3: Cecil Hills HS vs Casula HS, 1pm; U/15 Division 2: Elderslie HS vs Camden HS, 2.15pm; U/15 Division 1: Ingleburn HS vs Ashcroft HS, 3.45pm.
Junee High School Rugby League team JUNEE HIGH - THE JUGGERNAUT CONTINUES

Thanks a lot for keeping the site up to date, im a student at Junee and you've got no idea about the buzz that's been generated around the community at the moment. I know our team and school rely on ourfootyteam.com to keep up to date with the opposition.

To have got as far as we have in such a prestigious event is just surreal, especially taking into account the size of our school. I think we only have a selection base of 20 players, compared to Maitland who have a senior campus of 600!

I remember the old man telling me uni shield stories from when he was at school! We've had faxes from Adam Perry and Laurie Daley sending their support, and the ladies seem to dig it as well ;)

The Junee side continued its rampant charge to the 2007 University Shield title with a victory in the inaurgural Country Cup Opens CRL State championship, downing St Mary's of Maitland 22 to 20 in a high-class display of flamboyant rugby league.

The physical Maitland school started the game strongly, taking advantage of a swarm of early possession to cross the line twice and gain their school an early 10 point advantage.

However, St Mary's soon learnt to beware of a Junee side on the ropes with an opportunistic chip-over-the-top and regather by 5/8th and captain Matt Hands sending a flying Daniel Pratt over for a try in the corner.

As possession evened out and the big Maitland forwards began to tire, Halfback Simon Wilson took the advantage sending a long ball out to ranging centre Mathew Ward who charged 60m to score under the posts.

A penalty late in the tackle count again sent Junee on the attack, with a well placed grubber from Wilson setting up a line drop right on the half time siren.

With one play remaining in the half, Junee again chipped over the top to find a flying Matt Ward who casually strolled over to score his second and send his team into the sheds with a 16-10 halftime advantage.

It didn't take the Maitland side long to regather it's composure in the second half, pouncing on an uncharacteristic mistake from winger John Stewart to score first points.

Things only got tougher for Junee as inspirational forward Cameron Woo was sin-binned in a controversial decision that shocked the pro-Junee crowd.

Weak penalties and repeat sets took it's toll on Junee, with Maitland crashing over again to gain a 20-16 lead.

With St Mary's on the attack, bone-crunching defence from 1976 CRL representative Charles Curry forced an error and gave tireless second-rower Adam Hands the chance to stretch out and score the match winner for Junee.

It was a monumental effort for the tiny Junee school, which boasts a population of under 300 students.

Junee now has it's eyes set on Sarah Redern to book a spot in the University Shield grand final.
Blake Cowled dives over for the first of many tries during his team’s 34-point thumping of Blayney High School in the University Shield
Junee High School’s Blake Cowled dives over for the first of many tries during his team’s 34-point thumping of Blayney High School in the University Shield yesterday. Junee High now moves through to the tournament’s semi-final stage.Photo: Kerrie Stewart

Slick passing display propels school into the semi-finals

ANOTHER flawless performance from the Junee High School rugby league team has propelled it into the University Shield semi-finals following its 34-0 thumping of Blayney High School at Willow Park yesterday.

After sweeping through the Riverina side of the draw, Junee High made it look all too easy once again against the central west heavyweights, taking just six minutes to cross the line and send out an ominous warning of what was to follow.

Blake Cowled was the opening try scorer, finding himself on the end of a superb piece of play from Cameron Woo.

Less than 10 minutes later Matt Ward extended the lead with a try of his own, before Jordan Walker, Simon Wilson and Adam Clarke followed suit, all benefactors of some outstanding passing that team official Pamela Halliburton called “poetry in motion”.

With a 26-0 lead at half-time, the Junee boys could sense they were nearly home, but running into the breeze proved to be a big challenge as the second half got under way.

Despite Ward managing to dive over for his second after four minutes, Walker’s second at the 16th minute mark was to be the last of the celebrating for the home team as the game turned into a war of attrition.

“The boys defended well all day to keep Blayney (High) scoreless, but their passing was something else,” Halliburton said after the win.

“Some of the plays they put together today were superb and all credit must go to their coach Steve Lawson, who has the boys all getting along and having fun.”

The 34-point victory now places Junee High in the tournament’s semi-finals, with its next opponent and venue still to be confirmed.

“It’s an exciting time for the school to have their team playing the quality of football they are at the moment – the boys are really excited about what lies ahead,” Halliburton said.
High School
34 - 0 Blayney
High School

Three spectacular tries from Andrew Madden led a gutsy fight back by Dubbo College to book a place in the University Shield semi-finals.

At Apex Oval yesterday, Dubbo came back from 18-4 down after 24 minutes to edge ahead 26-24 with 12 minutes to go and eventually held on to win 32-30.

It was magnificent stuff from the Dubbo forwards who dominated in the second half, an effort that left coach Craig May singing the praises of Madden.

"I thought Madden was absolutely outstanding and not far behind him was Max Ray, only a 16-year-old boy who came up with a real champion game out there today," May said.

"Engadine were very strong seven through to one (in the backs) and our forwards had to take control and they did that.

"I called it before the game that Madden's charges with the ball would be important for us and it was particularly important for him to run straight rather than try and set up players.

"The results speak for themselves - he scored three tries and set up another for our captain Jeremy Brown - it was a great effort and the reason why we get a shot at Gunnedah in a semi-final."

The game was only four minutes old when Madden broke into the clear, drew the fullback and sent Jeremy Brown over.

But that lead was short-lived as the Engadine backs - most of who are Cronulla Sharks signed juniors - got into gear and before long Dubbo was behind 12-4 after converted tries to centre Hayden Peacock and tall fullback Stewart Mills.

At that stage Dubbo was in trouble, not being able to hold the ball long enough or get good field possession to put any pressure on the visitors.

Dubbo looked doomed when Mills scored the second of three tries from broken play and the lead was out to 12-4.

But then two tries in the final 10 minutes before drinks turned it all around for Dubbo, despite running into a stiff breeze - and it was Madden who took on the task to do it himself.

For his first try Madden raced 30m through the middle of the ruck and when one-on-one with the fullback (and with Dubbo players in support) took the short odds and crashed over the try line.

Soon after a Tim Armstrong chip bounced nicely for Kurt Fuller and it was game on at 18-16 at the break.

That was a score that probably flattered the home side as Engadine had looked the better side.

A knock on inside their own half by Dubbo saw Engadine out to 24-16 early in the second half after centre Adam Goode skirted the defence and Chad Richmond booted his fourth successive conversion.

But the Dubbo forwards soon took control and being on the attack chipped into the corner for centre David Nicholls to score and again the reduce the margin to four points, 24-20.

Down the other end of the field a Mills knock on under his own posts saw Madden belt over the posts and the conversion from Jordan Boney saw Dubbo in front 26-24.

A great bust by Max Ray deep inside the Engadine quarter saw Madden again put up his hand to score his third try and with Boney's conversion Dubbo was seemingly safe at 32-24 with eight minutes left to be played.

Then just as Dubbo was about to celebrate Engadine's Mills scored his third try after somehow finding his way through some feeble Dubbo defence. The conversion by Richmond was again on the spot for 32-30 and two minutes remaining.
Dubbo Secondary CollegeDubbo Secondary
32 - 30 Engadine High SchoolEngadine
TRIES : Andrew Madden 3, David Nicholls, Kurt Fuller, Jeremy Brown
GOALS : Fuller 2, Boney 2
TRIES : Stewart Mills 3, Hayden Peacock, Adam Goode
GOALS : Chad Richmond 5
Both teams played the game in the right spirit and held a presentation following the game.
PHOTO : Both teams played the game in the right spirit and held a presentation following the game.

Canowindra Public School won their Westmont Shield quater final against Smithfield West 26-6 at the Oval last Thursday.

Smithfield West arrived Wednesday afternoon and were treated to fine country hospitality, a sheep shearing demonstration that night and a balloon inflation on Thursday morning.

Smithfield West meanwhile initiated theCanowindra boys into the intricacies of the haka as half the Sydney team was of polynesian descent.

Despite being a bit nervous the Canowindra Public boys opened the game with their usual blend of fortress like defence and expansive attack, which shocked the bigger Smithfield West team, who maybe thought that Canowindra's size meant they would be easy beats.

A couple of penetrating hit ups from Curtis Hughes, Tim Wythes and Simon Whatman took play into Smithfield West's quarter from where Jayden Brown almost got over the line in the next hit up.

From the next play the ball travelled to the right side of the field where Smithfield had bunched up and Kurt Tidswell exploited the open space and went over the line for the first score of the game.

Bradyn Cassidy converted the try and Canowindra lead by six points.

Jared Zahra made the most of his debut in the run on side as he assisted in tackling a flying Smithfield West winger and was almost on the spot to regather a kick ahead and score.

However it was centre Bradyn Cassidy who was the next scorer after he outstepped the defence and scored near the right corner

Jayden Brown guided the kick through the posts and Canowindra Public led 12-0.

The forwards were again led by Simon Whatman, Curtis Hughes and Jayden Brown, who provided the initail breaks but they were ably backed up by Tim Wythes and Dean Wilson with Harry Whatman being the little general at dummy half.

Canowindra's lead increased to sixteen points as the ball again went wide through halves Rohan Toole and Bailey Cain before Alex Willson passed to Bradyn Cassidy who again broke through the defence only to be tackled just short of the line.

Just before he hit the deck he passed the ball behind the tackler to Jared Zahra who caught the ball and scored the teams third try for a 16-0 score line at the break.

Soon after the break Smithfield West hit back with a rolling set down the field which finished in a converted try, which narrowed the lead to ten points 16-6.

Over the next ten minutes play see-sawed from end to end as both sides dropped balls and then tackled tenaciously to keep each other from scoring.

Zak Whitehead in particular pulled off a couple of brilliant last ditch tackles on the wing which saved certain trys.

With heart rates going up and down in Canowindra supporters on the sideline it was left to the little general, Harry Whatman, who dived under the big defenders and scored the game breaker wide out on the right hand side.

Jared Zahra added the extra two points which stretched the lead to 22-6.

The game was put beyond a doubt when Bradyn Cassidy scored his second try of the game right on the bell for a twenty point win, 26-6.

After the full time celebrations the generous Smithfield west players presented their Canowindra counterparts with an Eels hat and an individual supporters ball from their favourite NRL team, a very generous gesture.

Special thanks goes to Ian Wythes who set up the Burdett Hall for the barbecue on Wednesday night and the field for the game on Thursday morning.

Canowindra Public's opponents are not yet known as the winner of the South Coast region is not yet decided and they then play Young, the winners of the Riverina region.

A new era has dawned on the coveted Arrive alive Cup with both last years National Finalists Keebra Park who
were defeated last week by Palm Beach Currimbin & now Endeavour SHS have been eliminated from the 2007

Endeavour Sports High and Hills Sport High battled it out in the Arrive Alive Cup which turned out to be an absolute
thriller that was won by Hills Sports in the dying minutes 20 – 18 which destroyed Endeavours chance of winning
the Arrive Alive Cup 4 years in a row.

Endeavour came out on fire with two quick tries in the first 20 minutes at Oki Stadium.

Hills struck back with a try under the sticks. Endeavour lead going into the sheds at half time 12 – 6.

Hills struck back in the second half scoring two unconverted tries to make it 14 – 12 Endeavours way.

After about 20 minutes of play Hills scored once more and converted with a great kick extending the score to 20 –

Then with pure desperation and heart Endeavour’s 2nd rower scored and brought the score to 20 – 18 but unfortunately Endeavour couldn’t capitalise and Hills got the win they deserved.

Although Endeavour had many year 10 and 11 players for them due to injury they played really well.


Endeavour travelled down past Wollongong to play Illawarra Sports High School in Buckley Shield.

These 1 team faced each other last week in the NSWRL All Schools Championships with Endeavour winning fairly easily.

Endeavour coach Mr. Howlett reminded the boys "this is a different game, they will come hard at us" and so the Illawarra boys did.

It was a tough game with both teams forward trying to smash each other in the opening stages.
30 - 18 Illawarra Sports High School provides a strong comprehensive education and the integrated opportunity for talented sports students to reach elite sporting levels in a wide range of sports.ILLAWARRA

Illawarra Sports High School is a new SHS, their Buckley shield side is improving in every department.

The side is listening and learning, this shows in the way Illawarra play, it wont be long before Illawarra are a real long term threat to all the school footy teams out there.

Ourfooty media heard the Illawarra coach congratulating is team after this Buckley Shield semi final, he said they are improving & coming along nicely.

Yass High has had another good season with our rugby league. We won the Far South Coast Region for the third time running and made the last 16 teams in the University Shield competition again.

Unfortunately, we were defeated by an excellent Junee team but we can still be proud of the efforts of the team in 2007.

Our results were as follows:

Yass defeated Queanbeyan 72-10, Yass defeated Braidwood 76-0, Yass defeated Karabar on a forfeit, Yass defeated Vincentia 28-14, Yass lost to Junee 44-4,
Points for: 180, Points against: 68. Games: Won 4, lost 1

The team included Andrew Swaffield (captain), Brad Wylie (vice captain), Jamie Apps, Daniel McFeeters, Henry Paton, Judd Sherratt, Hayden Gallimore, Jesse Senior, Boyd Roche, Shaun Davis, Josh O'Brien, Damian D'Ambrosio, Kyle Partridge, Phil Sparnon,

Bruce Barrie, Daniel Lawrence, Tim Coughlan, Buster Connors, Adam Greenwood and Sam Brandon.

Thanks to the people involved:

Eddie Wylie (coach), Lisa Naughton (stats), Annette Paton (medical officer), Lisa Wylie (time keeper), Steve Naughton(assistant coach), Phil Bambach (photos), Glenn Matthews (wisdom and advice),
Thanks to everyone who played and hopefully we can have another good year in 2008. - Warwick Sicklen Manager
Back to NEWS
St. Pauls College Kempsey Rugby League Team Photo
The St Paul’s team and coaching staff after the game

ST Pauls open footy side ran onto Energy Australia Stadium, Newcastle last Friday in the Tier B grand final of the Arrive Alive Cup.

The team has been on a high the past couple of months as they have defeated so called bigger and better teams in the competition.

The boys faced their biggest assignment to date, St Francis Xavier College, Newcastle.

Featuring more than five signed Knights players, St Francis Xavier were going to be a tough team to beat.

With a bus full of fellow school students and teachers cheering from the grand stand, St Pauls took to the field and were really to do them proud.

However, try as they might, they could not match it with the bigger opposition. The half-time score was 24-4 but the local boys never gave up.

As the final whistle blew in the second-half St Francis had the win, 34-18.

The boys should hold their heads up high for their efforts on the field this year.

They have set a high benchmark for future teams for the college to try and live up to.

FOURTEEN Sawtell Public School students have been busy raising funds to ensure they can take their place at the all schools rugby league knockout carnival in Sydney on Monday 30 th July '07.

The school's under-10 years team qualified for the Sydney trip after a strong performance at the Bellingen knockout carnival last term.

The team's co-coach Will Trice said it was about the "fifth or sixth time" the school had qualified for the Sydney knockout, but it had been about six years since it had last participated.

Will said the trip would be a "great buzz" for the students, who will also get to watch the National Rugby League game between Wests Tigers and North Queensland on Monday night.

The team leaves on Sunday and will contest the one-day carnival on Monday before returning home the following day.

The Sawtell side will contest the under-10 years B division, a competition for schools throughout the state with enrolments of less than 200.

Will said the Years 3-4 players had been busy raising funds for the trip, including holding a lamington drive and sausage sizzle.

He said the local community had also offered great support.
| Under 10's | OPEN'S |
| Under 12's | Under 13's | Under 14's | Under 15's |
| Under 16's | OPENS |


National Primary School Exchange

| NSW UNDER 18'S |

Arrive alive CUP - NATIONAL OPEN Comp
University Shield NSW OPEN Comp
WC Buckley Shield - NSW U 15's Comp
St. Mary's Cup NSW OPEN Comp
cccCOCHRANE CUP - CCC Under 14's Comp
| contact us | privacy policy | site map | terms & conditions |